Mental Health First Aid Training Courses
BeSure Mental Health First Aid
Training Courses in Mid Sussex
Why we need a better understanding
of Mental Health
Some interesting facts about Mental Health illness in the UK and your business.
* One in four people in the UK experience a mental health condition each year.
* Mental Health issues, like depression and anxiety, account for the most days off sick of any health condition.
* The World Health Organisation (WHO), has identified that depression has become the leading cause of disability worldwide and has significant economic consequences.
* Mental health problems at work cost the UK economy £34.9bn (absenteeism, staff turnover and loss of productivity); that works out to approximately £1300 for every employee.
* Employers & mangers that take a positive approach to support mental health at work will benefit from a more productive, happy and loyal workforce.
* Improvement in the management of mental health in the workplace could save up to 30% of the cost of lost production and staff turnover.
* Increased staff retention helping to retain valued and experienced members of staff reducing the cost of sickness absence payments and recruitment costs.
Why Mental Health and First Aid
In this modern day of Health & Safety and blame claim culture we don't think twice about providing First Aiders and training our staff in treating physical injuries and illness. Our risk assessments tell us what and how many people we need to provide and we put in place the provisions to meet this need. Some one who has physically hurt themselves will happily seek out a First Aider to receive treatment of their injury.
Unfortunately when we look at Mental Health there is not always a physical sign that the person is injured, the person will not always actively seek out help for a Metal Health illness, so the illness can continue to hurt the person and prolong their suffering.
As a business or organisation we can make a change to this, we can decide that it will be beneficial to have personnel trained to identify and understand symptoms and able to support someone who might be experiencing a mental health issue.
Taking into consideration ways to manage mental ill health in your workplace which are appropriate for your business or organisation such as providing information or training for managers and employees, employing occupational health professionals, appointing mental health trained first aiders and implementing employee support programmes all contribute to promoting positive mental health in the workplace.
First aid training courses covering mental health, teach delegates how to recognise warning signs of mental ill health and help them to develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone, while keeping themselves safe.
What is a Mental Health First Aider
Mental Health First Aiders are trained to:
- Recognise early signs and symptoms of mental ill health
- Use the CARE principle.
- Check the risk of suicide or self-harm
- Apply non-judgmentally conversation techniques.
- Reassure the person.
- Encourage the person to access appropriate professional support or self-help strategies.
- Escalate to the appropriate emergency services, if necessary.
- Maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
Mental Health First Aid Courses
There are a number of benefits in educating people to better understand the signs and symptoms of mental ill health. This course will give the Mental Health First Aiders the training and tools to be more confident about identifying & helping someone experiencing problems, being able to provide support before issues escalate.
To simplify this, by investing more in employee happiness it benefits all stakeholders. Benefiting from a more positive working culture and mentally stronger workforce this has a knock-on effect on productivity, profitability and ultimately market success . Sustainable success is built on these ideas, and is why industry leaders invest both time & money in their people from a grass roots level right the way up to the top.